Followers

Thursday 8 March 2012

San Choy Bow

YAY!!! It's Friday! I hope you have all had a fantastic week and have managed to try one or more of the dishes on this blog. I hope that is some way I have managed to make you think of something 'different' to cook for your lunch or dinner.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, this blog is simply to give you ideas - it does not offer exact recipes for these dishes. I really want you to take the idea and then give it your own twist. That is what cooking is all about - add your own touch to it!

Now for today's idea! I remember when I was working full time, cooking on a Friday night was not a priority. It is commonly the night where people get take away as they cannot be bothered cooking. DON'T TURN TO THE LOCAL CHINESE PLEASE!!!! Here is a dish that will literally take you no more than 10 minutes to cook and it goes great with a beer or a wine - for your Friday night treat.

This is the perfect dish to do in your wok - quick and easy!

Ingredients


Mince - you can choose which mince you prefer for this! Either chicken, turkey or pork!
Water chestnuts - finally diced
Bamboo shoots - finally diced
Vermicelli noodles - Soaked and cut up finely
Ginger - either fresh or in a jar
Crushed peanuts
Spring onions
Hoi Sin Sauce
Soy Sauce
Iceberg lettuce


Basic method - this is the easy part



  • Finely dice your chestnuts, bamboo shoots & spring onions.
  • Crush up your peanuts.
  • Soak your noodles, drain and cut into small pieces.
  • Cook your mince in the wok with oil and ginger and add in some Hoi Sin and Soy Sauce (to your liking)
  • Add in chestnuts, bamboo shoots, noodles
  • Tear the leaves off your iceberg lettuce - keeping them whole (like little bowls)
  • Pop your mixture in to the cups and top with spring onions and peanuts!
  • Serve with Hoi Sin dipping sauce.

Tips

Make sure your lettuce is super fresh and crispy! Fresh coriander is yummy on top of this as well.n Also make sure your wok is VERY hot before you pop in the mince - it should take no longer than 10 minutes to cook.

Here is a pic of mine - not a delicate meal to eat but so yummy!











3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love San choy bow... I usually throw a heaps of finely diced capsicum and zucchini in mine aswell will definately have to try with your ingredients aswell Jess!!! Thanks for the great ideas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lauren - great idea re the extra vegies! That would make it look more 'colourful' too! I'll have to try your style San Choy Bow next time! Thanks for following the blog! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this one Jess!(please excuse my blog account its a uni thing I'm studying physio and we get assessed on our blogs)

    My partner doesn't like Hoi sin, so instead I used thick soy and chinese cooking wine and added loads of chilli, it was a hit!

    Thanks for expanding my limited repertoire...I guess I better step it up now that I'm engaged
    trying the pie tonight :)

    ReplyDelete