Followers

Tuesday 6 March 2012

The trusty old sausage roll - yummy!

Hi all!

Thank you SO much to those of you who have given me feedback regarding my blog either via the blog or on Facebook!

Ok, well I thought today we could look at a good old favourite - the SAUSAGE ROLL!

Lets face it, who doesn't love a sausage roll and yes, you can make them at home for a yummy lunch, dinner or snack when friends come over. This is also a great recipe for kids! They will get excited about eating a sausage roll for dinner and you can hide lots or fresh vegies in them! The other great thing with these is that you can make a huge batch of them and freeze them!!!!  Then whip them out of the freezer and pop in the oven when you need them! So when you do make them, I encourage you to make a big batch - it will save you time later on when you need a quick meal.

Another awesome thing with this is you can use whatever mince you like! You can use plain beef mince or you can mix it up like I do. I often use a mixture of lamb and veal or you could use chicken and turkey mince.... again, totally up to you!

In my method I have not told you to pre-cook your onions. I actually like the texture of mine more crispy but you can pre-cook your onions if you like. Also, you can cut your sausage rolls into small bite size ones like I did or you can make one long big one (probably better if serving as a complete meal)

I would normally serve this with a massive salad but again - up to you! Give them a go and please let me know how you find them.


Ingredients

  • Mince (As I have mentioned, feel free to use whatever mince you like or even combine 2 different types.
  • 2 egg (1 for the mixture and 1 for egg washing the pastry)
  • Breadcrumb
  • Zucchini 
  • Carrot
  • Onion
  • Tomato sauce/paste
  • BBQ sauce
  • Garlic
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Chili sauce
  • Puff pastry
  • Sesame seeds (to pop on the top)
Basic method (best part of this as it's so easy)

  • Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl including 1 egg. (See, I told you it was easy)
  • Use the breadcrumbs to make sure that the mixture is not too wet.
  • Roll the mixture in a long, thin sausage like shape along the end of the pastry sheet.
  • Roll pastry over so the mixture is covered in pastry.
  • To seal the edge, I use a fork (press it along the join to seal in the mixture then trim off excess pastry.
  • Repeat this process to use up all the mixture.
  • Cut the sausage rolls in to whatever shape you like (long or bite size)
  • Brush the top of the pastry with your egg wash, sprinkle some sesame seeds on top and pop in a hot oven for about 25 minutes or until mixture cooked and pastry golden brown.

Here is a pic of what mine turned out like! I made them on a Saturday afternoon and we enjoyed a glass of wine with them. Cheers!





8 comments:

  1. Mike doesn't like pastry, another idea please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bern, when you posted this, did you have to type in cryptic letters to do so???

      Delete
  2. Oh no Bern!!! No pastry - oh I wish I didn't like pastry ha ha! Well how about San Choy Bow? Quick and easy!!! I'm sure you have decided on something by now but tune in tomorrow - going to be a seafood dish! I hope Mike likes seafood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, do you use fresh breadcrumbs (as in make yourself) or just packet ones????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use store bought ones but even better if you make your own! While you are blending up the breadcrumbs why not mix in some herbs too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok cool - think I am understanding this all a little better!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding a picture, hopefully!

    ReplyDelete